A couple of weeks ago I mentioned Mama’s Lemon Icebox Pie in my post about the Gumbo Kitchen in Melbourne. The girls and I whipped up a pie following Mama’s recipe yesterday, and I’d like to share the recipe with you today.
The “Mama” this recipe comes from is not my mom, but my Aunt Brenda’s Mama. Everyone called her “Mama”, me, my mom and Aunt Brenda included.
My whole life we have traveled to Texas in September for our annual family reunion. By the time I was finishing high school and starting at LSU, we would all pile in to my Grandpa’s motor home for the road trip to the Texas Hill Country. When I say “all” I’m referring to my Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, Parents, Grandparents and Mama. There were quite a few of us, and it was always a good time. We had so much fun on that motor home that my Aunt and Uncle from Atlanta would fly to Baton Rouge to get on the motor home for the drive to Texas and the reunion.
Those motor home trips are legendary in my family. We passed the time laughing and visiting. There was always a card game going at the dining table which we would all take turns playing. And, of course, there was a lot of eating going on. Every year Mama brought 2 Lemon Icebox Pies along for the ride, and we would all fight over the last slice. They sure were delicious!
Mama’s charming recipe is below. I’ve had to make one change to suit Australian ingredients as there is no such thing as Graham Cracker Crust here. Mama used the ready made crust, but I’ve had to make my own. Otherwise, it’s all Mama.
|Mama’s Lemon Icebox Pie||
- 1 package of Arnott’s Granita (250g), crushed to a fine crumb
- 12 tbsp (150g) butter
- 6 eggs, separated
- 6 lemons, juiced
- 3 cans condensed milk
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 4 tbsp sugar
- To make the crust, combine the crushed Granita with the melted butter and firmly press the crumb mixture evenly on the bottom and sides of two 9 inch pie plates. Bake at 350F (180C) for 7 minutes and let cool before pouring the pie mixture into it.
- Stir 6 yellow egg yolks a little
- Add condensed milk to the egg yolks and stir a little
- Pour juice from the lemons on top and let it sit a while as you make the meringue topping
- To make the meringue, whip the egg whites until stiff with cream of tartar. Add vanilla and sugar.
- Stir the lemon juice into the condensed milk mixture until combined.
- Pour the lemon mixture into 2 pie crusts and top with the meringue.
- Bake at 400F (200C) until slightly browned.
- Let pie cool and then place in the fridge until ready to serve.